Monday, September 19, 2011

Keith Richards still refuses to take his success for granted.

Keith Richards: Success is precious

Keith Richards still refuses to take his success for granted.
image: Keith Richards Keith Richards

The Rolling Stones star is widely regarded as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Despite being part of a hugely successful rock group, Keith feels humble about his achievements.

“I’ve slowly grown into that,” he told GQ when asked about his self-deprecating nature. “When you’re supported by millions all over the world, you can either go nuts, or try to feed off the goodwill. I always felt that it was my job to give back as much as possible. There are millions of fans, and if you get that feedback, especially from an early age, it’s indescribable. “It’s the same with the Beatles, John Lennon in particular. It’s something you have to handle all the time. I’ve never taken it for granted. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.”

Keith released his autobiography, Life, last year.

The 67-year-old rocker was thrilled with the reception to the book as he feared he would be highly criticised.

“I just wanted to tell it from my point of view, and the incredible escapades we got involved in. It would be enough for most people’s lifetimes if just one of those things happened to them,” he added.

“But I wasn’t expecting the reception that it’s got. I thought they were going to drag me through the mud, but in actual fact it sort of elevated my opinion of myself. I don’t want to get big-headed here, as I always play myself down, but I’ve been pleased.”