Saturday, May 25, 2013

(RE-EDITED) Keith Richards wants to get back in the studio - with or without the Rolling Stones...

Keith Richards wants to get back in the studio - with or without the Rolling Stones

In a new interview reported by the Toronto Sun, Keith Richards has expressed his desire to hit the studio after the 50 And Counting tour, with or without the company of his bandmates.
By PATRICK - May 23, 2013
In a new interview reported by the Toronto Sun, Keith Richards has expressed his desire to hit the studio after the 50 And Counting tour, with or without the company of his bandmates.

The Stones guitarist, who turns 70 this year, said, "I wouldn't want to cloud the issue with the Stones thing going on but maybe at the end of the year or whenever the Stones collapse again. Maybe, yeah, I've got some stuff and I'd like everybody to hear."

Does this mean the Stones have no plans of rolling their tour into autumn and early 2014, with added dates in South American, Europe, Australia or Asia (as has been rumoured)?

He spoke of how he keeps writing songs when on the road with the Stones. "It's an ongoing process - you write songs, even when you don't want to."

"Ideas come and you gotta jot that down and then you sit around. Songwriting still continues. I've been doing some stuff with (drummer-producer) Steve Jordan, I've been keeping my hand in with all of that. I haven't been absolutely not playing or doing anything. I made that record (2013's My True Story) with Aaron Neville too. I've been working as a session man lately."

Some Rolling Stones fans, or, more specifically, die-hard fans of Richards himself, long for him to release a solo album comprising acoustic songs that have influenced him over the years. This sort of material can be heard on Disc 2 of the widely circulated bootleg, "Voodoo Brew", where Keith was supposed to be overdubbing guitar on the song "New Faces" from Voodoo Lounge (1994), but ended up jamming out some traditional songs on his acoustic guitar including "Salty Dog", "Cocaine Blues" and Bob Dylan's "Girl From The North Country".

On playing acoustic guitar, Keith told the interviewer, "Always keep a hand with the acoustic. You're a musician, every time you play, it's sort of a little bit special. It doesn't matter for who or where it is. Some of my best stuff, I've only played for myself. I could never quite get it over again but that's one of those things about being a musician. I'm stuck with it honey!"

Keith also talks about birthdays and the band's forthcoming gigs at Glastonbury and Hyde Park in the UK.