Saturday, October 8, 2011

Keith Richards talks about the impact of his memoir on Mick Jagger and others

Keith Richards talks about the impact of his memoir on Mick Jagger and others

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has gotten a lot of recognition for his critically acclaimed, award-winning memoir, "Life," which was an immediate hit when it was published in October 2010. But the memoir he would really like to read is one from Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts. (Watts has said in many interviews over the years that he has no interest in doing an autobiography, and he told The Times (U.K. newspaper) that he does not want to read "Life.")

In an interview with the U.K. edition of GQ magazine's November 2011 issue, Richards opened up about "Life" and the impact that the book had on people, including himself. As previously reported, Richards was named Writer of the Year at the 2011 GQ Men of the Year Awards.

Here are some choice excerpts from Richards' GQ interview:

Why did you decide to do the book?

The Stones had just finished the last tour, having been away for three years, and I knew there was going to be an inevitable gap where we would all be sitting around thinking about what's going to happen next. And the idea came up just at that moment, and it seemed the perfect thing to keep me occupied. It just seemed the right point in the story so far. And then other things fell into place and I knew that I had a couple of years to do it, basically.

What did you want to achieve with the book?

I just wanted to tell it from my point of view, and the incredible escapades we got involved in. It would be enough for most people's lifetimes if just one of those things happened to them. But I wasn't expecting the incredible reception that it's got. It's got me into a semiliterate area - people thought I was just a moron. I've actually got to like critics in the last year! It's like, "Wow, thanks pal, let me buy you a drink!" I thought they were going to drag me through the mud, as I'm used to that, but in actual fact it sort of elevated my opinion of myself. I don't want get big-headed here, as I always play myself down, but I've been pleased. To me, my biggest fear is getting a big head, and that is when I get the hammer. Because it's very easy in this game to believe you're something special. Just look at Brian Jones - he died from it.

What did you learn about yourself writing the book?

That I'm a much meaner bastard than I thought. But at the same time, I realised how much friendship had meant to me, and how much my friendship had meant to other people, which I hadn't thought about before. This is the rock'n'roll life, and you had to invent it as you went along. There was no textbook to say how you operate this machinery. You didn't know you were always walking on the edge of disasters, and there's nobody to turn to and say, "How did you feel?" because no one had been there before. It was very exciting. Still is, in a way. There are loads of things people wish I'd done, and some things I wish I'd done! You become a cartoon character, and I can play that to the hilt, and I know that people have come up with a great story and they go, "He didn't do it, but if he'd thought about it and he'd been there, he would have done it."

Has this given you a taste for doing a bit more writing?

Yeah, there is talk about that, but basically I want to get the Stones back together and give it one more bash. I think they've got it in them. But it's about timing and an awful lot of very careful diplomacy.

Mick didn't love the book, did he?

Mick was obviously a bit peeved, but that was yesterday and this is today. We're two guys divided by life.

Did you read Ronnie Wood's book?

Well, I think he tossed it off. Even Ronnie would admit that. Ronnie's got a much better story to tell than that book, that's all I can say. Charlie's book is the one I really want to read.

And is there going to be a movie of the book?

Yeah, there are feelers out at the minute. I'm in no rush right at the moment. Also, how are they going to find me? The idea of a succession of Keith Richards coming down is horrifying. Maybe when I'm dead and gone they can make a movie of it.

By

Rolling Stones Examiner

Carla Hay is a longtime Rolling Stones fan who has met all of the current and former members of the band, except for the the late Brian Jones. As...