Sunday, July 5, 2015

Ronnie Wood: ‘Ronnie Lane turned down The Rolling Stones on my behalf – but didn’t tell me!’...



...
Ronnie Wood could have joined The Rolling Stones years before he finally linked-up with the band – if only he’d got to the phone before his Faces bandmates.
The guitarist finally joined The Stones in 1975, however Keith Richards and co had in fact tried to recruit him a few years beforehand but Wood never got the message, as he reveals in the new issue of Q, out today (30 June).
“When I was first getting together with The Faces there was a phone call at the rehearsal space,” he explains in our 10 Commandments interview of the incident around 1969.
“[Bassist] Ronnie Lane answered it and it was Mick Jagger asking whether I’d be interested in joining the Stones because Brian Jones had just died. Ronnie Lane said, ‘Ronnie’s quite happy where he is’.”
And Wood never knew his services were in demand. “I didn’t find that out for years, that he’d turned the job down for me,” he quips.
Get Q349 in print or on digital now, for Wood’s other 10 Commandments, including living with Jimi Hendrix, not reading Keith Richards book and much more.

 http://www.qthemusic.com