Friday, March 9, 2012

From the White House to PBS, Mick Jagger still has the moves...

From the White House to PBS, Mick Jagger still has the moves


Mick Jagger and longtime girlfriend and designer L'Wren Scott made the scene at Fashion Week. / By Richard Drew, AP

Mick Jagger brought his signature moves to the East Room of the White House on Tuesday for a special concert celebrating blues music and in recognition of Black History Month. Performing alongside artists including B.B. King, Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck, Jagger even got President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama dancing. The 68-year-old Rolling Stones frontman called USA TODAY's Cindy Clark to chat about the concert, In Performance at the White House: Red, White and Blues, which airs Monday on PBS stations nationwide (times may vary).

How was performing at the White House? Were you nervous?

I wasn't really nervous. I don't know why I wasn't nervous. I don't really get nervous. The only thing that makes me nervous is live television, and I didn't even know it was going to be live streamed! Because live television is live television and you get slightly worried. But the actual gig, when you've done the rehearsal on the stage the day before and you've gone through everything and everything seems to be fine, you don't really get nervous. I don't anyway. But everyone seemed to be very relaxed.

I got that feeling, the performers weren't really that nervous. It's a difficult strange room because you're not in a club, and the president's there, but when it comes down to it, in the end when you're up there and you're playing, once you start the first few bars, you're doing what you do. That's how I think of it.

What did you think of Obama's spontaneous singing at the end of the evening? (the president was handed the microphone by Guy and sang a couple of lines from Sweet Home Chicago)

It was fun, I'm glad he did that. It was really sporty. Buddy Guy kind of fixed him with a beady eye. He (Obama) was just walking off and I couldn't believe how Buddy is — he's very like that, when he wants something, he focuses in on it. Did you hear what he said? Something like, 'I heard you singing Al Green's songs … you're not going to get away with this.' He (Obama) was so reluctant, but that reluctance — you've got to do it.

I heard you got a tour of the White House … what was that like?

It was great, we went to the East Wing, the public part, and then we went and had a great tour of the West Wing. It was really interesting, and I've been once before but it was great to do it with my family. We saw all of these different rooms that you normally wouldn't get to see and we talked to all sorts of people who work there. It was really a great afternoon.

Which honor was greater: performing for Obama or being knighted by the Prince of Wales?

They were both great honors!

The Stones started in the blues, and you're obviously a huge fan. What do you think of the state of the blues now?

I don't really know what the state of blues is right now, to be honest. There are all different kinds of blues and people playing it. It's always good to get younger people, some of the very old people will give up playing, stop playing, but you've got young people coming through in every area and different kinds of styles. Blues never — not since the '50s —sold records. But it's popular live and has its audience.

Do you think current rock bands are carrying the torch as well as rock bands in the '60s did?

Well, they have to. Who else is going to do it? There's a lot of current rock bands … I felt like on the Grammys that the Foo Fighters did the best song of the night. Their first number. I thought that was really exciting and real, whatever that means. It felt kind of vibe-y and real and energetic. And they may not be teenagers, but they certainly worked it. And I thought that was a good moment.

Any special plans for the Stones' 50th anniversary this year?

We have lots of special things planned, but I'm not telling you what they are!

Not even one thing?

Well, I don't know what's been announced and what hasn't been announced, but everyone asks me about the shows. We haven't announced any shows yet, but I do hope that something happens, even though nothing's booked. There will be lots of lovely things.

Did you ever think back in the early '60s you'd still be performing today?

Of course I did! The thing was, way back in the '60s we used to go and see performers that were the same age I am now. So I suppose in the back of my mind I hadn't ruled that out. Now we're still doing great things. You've got to have a high energy level. You can't have a low energy level in this kind of music. That's the thing, you've got to keep going. Obviously, you're not going to be the same energy level as when you were 20, but you've still got to put it out there, and that's what I always try and do.

When are you guys going to get back in the studio and record another album?

I've written a lot of songs, but I don't have any concrete plans.

Who are you listening to these days?

My album that I listen to is the Black Keys' El Camino, which I like very much.

I asked our readers if there was anything they'd like me to ask you, and one question came up repeatedly. I'm sure you know what that question is …

Yeah, I do.

Well then, what's your take on Maroon 5's Moves Like Jagger? It's still going strong on the radio.

I know! It's been on there so long so someone must like it. It's very catchy. I could say I wish I had written it, but wouldn't that be weird? It's fun, very young children like it, which is always cool and funny. But what am I going to say? I'm not going to be mean about it, am I?

I like Maroon 5, we toured with them and everything. But that's not really like a Maroon 5 song, that's the other funny thing. It's not really their kind of thing, so they're probably as surprised by the success of it as I am. It's very catchy pop, isn't it? It's funny. Only thing is, it puts a bit of pressure on me when I go out dancing!

What was Fashion Week like? (Jagger's longtime girlfriend is designer L'Wren Scott)

It was great! And one thing I've got to say is it was so great to see the first lady wearing L'Wren Scott clothes when we were at the White House the other day. So that was really good. And I didn't see much of Fashion Week because I only came up for the last day. I'm not really that much of a Fashion Week groupie, but I went to L'Wren's show and that was great.

What are your plans for Oscars on Sunday? Are you rooting for anyone in particular to win?

I'm not going this year, but I'll be watching on TV. I'm not rooting — I'm not a great Oscar rooter, but I love the fashions.