Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mick Jagger cancels Great British Tea Party appearance; says he was being used...



Mick Jagger cancels Great British Tea Party appearance; says he was being used

Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger has canceled his appearance at the Great British Tea Party because Jagger said he felt like he was being used by politicians for their political agendas. As previously reported, the event (hosted by London mayor Boris Johnson) is scheduled to take place on January 25, 2012, in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland, during the five-day annual World Economic Forum. The Great British Tea Party, which has been endorsed by British prime minister David Cameron, is aimed to boost investments in the United Kingdom.

Jagger issued this strongly worded statement:

“During my career I have always eschewed party politics and came to Davos as a guest, as I thought it would be stimulating. I have always been interested in economics and world events. I now find myself being used as a political football and there has been a lot of comment about my political allegiances which are inaccurate. I think it’s best I decline the invitation to the key event and curtail my visit.”

An unnamed source told the Daily Mirror:

“Mick is mortified at the suggestion he’s close to the Tory party. He was invited over to Davos to support British enterprise and industry which are areas that are close to his heart. But as soon as he found out that his presence was being paraded by the Tories as a publicity coup, he packed his bags and left. He just feels exploited.”

The Daily Mirror reports that a "senior government source" said:

“This was a non-political event and at no point was there ever any suggestion that Sir Mick was a Conservative.”